From backhoes to wagons, learn about some farm equipment and agricultural machinery that might be worthwhile investments for your farm.
Take a look at these farm-equipment types and gauge whether you need them to make your farm a more efficient and let’s be the honest more fun place to work.
1. Tractor: There never was a more broad category of ag machinery than this one. If only choosing a tractor were as simple as choosing a color though many farmers with brand allegiance will tell you it is!
2. Combine or Harvester: Grain farmers will find they need a combine (aka harvester) for their crop. Even with just an acre of grain crop, a combine is the most efficient means of getting it out of the field.
3.Balers: There are three general types of hay balers: round balers, square balers, and large square balers.
- Round balers pick up hay from the field and roll it into round balls, then wrap it with netting or twine.
- Square balers are available in various sizes. The right square baler for your farm will depend on how much acreage you’re baling.
- Large square balers are designed for large farms.
4. Rakes: Rakes are necessary pieces of farm equipment if you’re making hay. Wheel rakes, parallel-bar rakes, rotary rakes and belt rakes are pulled behind a tractor, and each has their advantages and disadvantages, depending on the quality of the hay-cutting job, the moisture content of the hay and the equipment-storage area available to you.
5. Transplanter: Long considered a tool of the large-scale farmer, there are now handheld transplanters in addition to the tractor-pulled transplanters that are making small-scale farmers lives easier.